Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day Eleven

Still going strong..so thankful for God's strength that carries me through every moment of every day! I love the old hymn, "I Need Thee Every Hour", but I have been replacing the word "hour" with "minute".. forget every hour, I need him every minute..even every second!!! and he continues to be faithful for every second of every day..

I walked three miles today!! I cannot tell you how great it felt to get outside and move!!  I have a great walking partner who I share amazing fellowship with, so that helps make it more enjoyable of course! :)

I wanted to share an excerpt from the book, Made To Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.  To date, I feel that this section was the most profound.  The other night at our MTC Bible study, I quoted Lamentations 3:22-24, and said that I was going to take the word, "portion" very literally and allow Jesus to be my portion..I held out my hands as if I were holding a plate and said, Lord, fill my plate and be my portion.  During today's reading in the book, this is what I came across..

My kids are driving me crazy. Instead of wolfing down three pieces of chocolate cake, I pray, "God, I so desperately want to be a patient mom. I don't know if I can be a patient mom the rest of my life. But with your portion of strength I can rely on you in this moment and not try to medicate my shortcomings with food."
Whatever the situation, I keep asking God to be my daily portion - of companionship, provision, patience - over and over. And one day I will find victory over these things instead of just looking back over a pile of tears and cake crumbs. Here's a biblical promise we can rely on:

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, the LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.  Lamentations 3:22-24

Grasping the truth that God is our portion has the potential to transform more than just our eating habits; it can transform our responses to every aspect of our lives. Practicing God's portion control was crucial for the spiritual development of the Israelites (Exodus 16:2-4) and it's crucial for our spiritual development as well. God doesn't mince our words about his expectations or his promises:

You shall have no foreign god among you; you shall not bow down to an alien god. I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.  Psalm 81:9-10

Whether we are talking about food, wine, sex, shopping, or anything else which we try to fill ourselves with, nothing in this world can ever fill us like God's portion. Nothing else can truly satisfy. Nothing else is unfailing and absolute. And I don't say this with a quirky little smile hoping it works. I shout it from the depths of my soul because I know it works,

"for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."  Psalm 107:9

~Made To Crave, pg 133-134

I am feeling more blessed each day as I watch a miracle take place in my life before my very eyes..

The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy!  Psalm 126:3

1 comment:

Darci said...

I'm your biggest fan :) The comment tester!